7 Best WordPress Security Plugins 2020 To Increase WordPress Security
Are You looking for Best WordPress security plugins to keep your WordPress website secure from hacker . Finally we have searched and collected the best security plugin for you which will protect your website from Malware and Hackers.
You might be owning a eCommerce website or a blog . Everyday thousands of spammers and malicious hackers target your website . By default WordPress security is very low you need to make it to high level depends upon you uses .
You might be thinking why the hackers hack your website ?
- To steal your personal data from the website database .
- Building back-links for their website or client .
- For adding popups ads network like propellerads or hilltopads . Mostly these are spams but so many people use this for money making .
- Some hackers do this for fun
- Even so many high profiled company hired hackers so that their business should continue on the track . Because if no body will hack their website their company will get closed .
Note – If your website is continuously getting hacked please and please migrate your hosting to some safe and high quality hosting provider like kinsta or fastcomet . They both have separate team for Website security . hostgator don’t provide any kind of security related help .
Let have the list of Top WordPress Security Plugins To Increase WordPress Security are as follows :-
- Ithemes Security
- Wordfence Security
- BulletProof Security
- Sucuri Security
- All In One WP Security & Firewall
- Anti-Malware Security and Brute-Force Firewall
1. Ithemes Security (Formerly Better WP Security)
Ithemes is one of the only free WordPress security plugin which gives you many ways for protecting your website. As we know over 30,000 websites are hacked everyday. These sites can easily be targeted for attacks because of weak password and obsolete software.
Most of the WordPress don’t know that their websites are vulnerable . But this works to lock down WordPress, stop the automated attacks and strengthen user help. With the most advanced features for experienced users it helps fortify WordPress. iThemes Security has been maintaining WordPress tools since 2008 like WordPress plugin.
With having full range of themes and training, WordPress security provides everything we need to build WordPress website.
- Brute force attack prevention – Ithmes provide protection from brute force attack and by banning the uses who used brute force attack to enter inside your website
- Bots Detection – Ithemes detects bad bots and block any kind of vulnerabilities.
- File Change Detection – If any make change in the WordPress core file Ithemes is going to scan those change and will notify you.
- More 30+ .htacess protection security is provided by Ithemes. No other plugin provide such large number tricks to protect your website
No. of Users (Free Version) – 1M+
Price – Part-timer – $19.99/mo , Freelancer Plan – $29.99/mo , Agency Plan – $39.99/moFree Premium
Learn How to properly Configure and setup itheme WordPress plugin
2. Wordfence Security – Firewall & Malware Scan
Wordfence Security is the most popular Firewall & Malware Scanner plugin for WordPress which includes fire wall malware scanning and much more. This is going to protect your WordPress website from hackers. In the modern era it is the most comprehensive WordPress security solution.
- Wordfence Firewall – Wordfence identifies and stop malicious traffic and is maintained by a large team which is always focused on WordPress security.
- Blacklist – Wordfence provide Real time ip blacklist which blocks all request from any malicious I.P address and will protect Your website.
- Malware scanner – It provide malware scanner and blocks request with malicious content .Malware scanner checks themes core files and plugins for malware, back-doors , malicious redirects and code injection.
- Deep integration – It protects your website enabling deep integration. it does not break encryption Like cloud it can neither be bypassed nor leak your personal data.
- Overwriting Check – It repairs files which have changed by overwriting them with original version it delete files that doesn’t belong within the Wordfence interface.
- Comment Protection – It checks your content by scanning posts, and comments for suspicious content.
- Limited login attempt – It always protect by limiting login attempts by enforcing strong password and other measures for secure login.
No. of Users (Free Version) – 3M+
Rating – 4.8 out of 5 stars
Price – 1 Active License Count – $99, 2-4 License Count – $89.10, 5-9 License Count – $84.15, 10-14 License Count – $79.20, 15+ License Count – $74.25 (sold as an annual license and auto-renews by default).Free Premium
Premium Wordfence Feature
- Real time firewall rule and malware signature gets updated via threat defense feed whereas free version gets delayed by 30 days .
Learn How to properly configure and setup Wordfence plugin
3. BulletProof Security Plugin
BulletProof Security is another free WordPress Security Plugin which has multiple overlapping inner and outer layers to Increase WordPress Security protection which helps to protect website files and databases. It has malware scanner, DB backup, login security, firewall, Anti-Spam etc. It is a complete website security package for spammer and hacker protection. Bullet Proof Security Bonus Custom Code can also be added additionally to secure the WordPress website.
It is an effective, easy to use and reliable security plugin for WordPress. The extensive and comprehensive automated security systems and features helps to monitor and protect from all kinds of attack.
- Setup Wizard- The setup wizard is activated through a single click.
- UI Theme Skin Changer- There are 3 theme skins in UI Theme Skin Changer.
- Error- There is HTTP for error logging.
- Maintenance- There are front end as well as backend maintenance mode.
- Login security and monitoring.
- ISL-Idle Session Logout.
- DB table prefix changer.
- Info- There is an extensive system for info.
- DB backup- Backups can be done fully, partially, and manually. They can be scheduled and the ZIP file can be emailed. The old backups can be deleted.
- Malware Scanner- There is MScan malware scanner.
- Firewalls- There is .htaccess WordPress Security Protection.
- Setup Wizard AutoFix- There is autoWhitelist, AutoCleanup and AutoSetup.
- There are hidden plugin folders.
- ACE- Auth Cookie Expiration is available.
No. of Users (Free Version) – 60,000 +
Rating – 4.7 out of 5 stars
Price – 69.95$ (One Time Purchase Price, No additional costs for upgrades or support)
4. Sucuri Security – Auditing, Malware Scanner and Security Hardening
Sucuri is known for its high-end quality for protecting website from hackers and also known for cleaning malware or hacked website . They are specialized in WordPress security .
Sucuri plugin is free for users. It also has some premium services also if you are choosing Sucuri premium service,
- Malware scanning
- File change detection .
- Abondent file notification
- WordPres Firewall (Premium)
- Google blacklist Monitoring
Note- we are using Sucuri Premium WordPress firewall for protecting our website
No. of Users (Free Version) – 700,000+
Rating – 4.5 out of 5 stars
Price – Basic Plan – $199.99/yr (12 hrs malware and hack scanning), Pro Plan – $299.99/yr (6 hrs malware and hack scanning), Business Plan – $499.99/yr (30 mins malware and hack scanning), Custom Plan – Custom Pricing
How to properly configure and setup sucuri plugin
5. All In One WP Security & Firewall
All In One WP Security & Firewall WordPress Security Plugin will take your website security to new level. It is designed and written by experts which makes it easy to use and understand. By implementing the latest WordPress security techniques it reduces the securities risk.
It also uses a security grading system to measure how well your website is being protected by the security features.
Its rule are categorized into three ways – BASIC, INTERMEDIATE AND ADVANCED.
- Strong Password Generation – It gives tool to create strong password.
- Automatic lockout IP – This plugin will automatically block the bad user smartly
- Login attempt monitor – This plugin provide you facilities to monitor login attempt o your website.
- captcha – You can easily add capcha to your WordPress login page
- Database Security – You can easily change database prefix
- Automatic database backup – You can easily backup your website database
- User name change – you can easily change the username of your choice.
Note – If you are not changing the username by default admin then you make it 50% easy for hackers as they already know that the login name and password can be easily broken by brute force login attack.
No. of Users (Free Version) – 800,000+
Rating – 4.8 out of 5 starsFree
6. Anti-Malware Security and Brute-Force Firewall
Anti-Malware Security and Brute-Force Firewall is used for mostly brute force protection . By this tool you can automatically remove the malware and and make your website secure if your website gets hacked .
- This plugin have the functionality to auto scan your website and completely remove unknown backdoor and secuirty threads
- Removal of timthumb scripts from your website .
- Provide firewall which is going to protect you from so many malware security threads
No. of Users – 200,000+
Rating – 4.9 out of 5 starsFree
Loginizer WordPress plugin will protect your WordPress website from brute force attack which is the most common kind of attack used by hacker.
You can limit the login attempt by using the Loginizer Plugin. You can also add some important features like recapcha , password less Login and two factor authentication in order to improve the security of your website.
Loginizer Free version security plugin for WordPress has so many limitation that’s why we kept this plugin at the last of our blog.
No. of Users – 1M+
Rating – 4.8 out of 5 stars
Price – Personal Plan – $24/yr (1 site security), Blogger Plan – $40/yr ( 2 site security), Professional Plan – $90/yr (10 site security), Business Plan – $150/yr( 100 site security)Free
Comparison between Wordfence vs Ithemes Security vs Sucuri Vs BulletProof Security
- Platform used
- Password Security
- WAF protection
- 2 factor authentication
- Login Attempt
- Malware Scanner
- Server-Side Scanner
- Website Uptime Monitoring
- 404 Detection
- SEO Spam Scanner
- File Change Detection
- Change Login Page Url, Admin Page
- SSL Certificate Monitoring
- Bots attack protection
- Blacklist Status
- DNS Monitoring
- Malware Signatures
- User Action Logging
- Brute Force Protection
- CDN Optimization
- Google reCAPTCHA
- Backup and Recovery
- Free Version availibilty
- Free Trial
- Support Ticket. FAQ, Support Forum, eBooks, Tutorials etc.
- Part-timer – $19.99/mo , Freelancer Plan – $29.99/mo , Agency Plan – $39.99/mo
- Email support, Documentation
- Thru firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Active License Count – $99, 2-4 License Count – $89.10, 5-9 License Count – $84.15, 10-14 License Count – $79.20, 15+ License Count – $74.25 (sold as an annual license and auto-renews by default)
- Emails, Support forums, video tutorials
- with T&C and company's discretion
- 69.95$ (One Time Purchase Price, No additional costs for upgrades or support)
- Cloud based
- Email, Support Ticket, Phone Call, Live Chat
- (Limited Feature)
- 30 Day Guarantee
- Basic Plan – $199.99/yr (12 hrs malware and hack scanning), Pro Plan – $299.99/yr (6 hrs malware and hack scanning), Business Plan – $499.99/yr (30 mins malware and hack scanning), Custom Plan – Custom Pricing
Wordfence vs Ithemes Security vs Sucuri
All the plugins are good and works fine and developed by masters. In my opinion and experience sucuri firewall is awesome as compared to sucuri plugin (Firewall must). Almost protection provided by sucuri can be easily be handle by wordfence and ithemes except firewall which is located outside your server for filtering malicious attack . So sucuri is must out of all . Now we have only 2 competitor ithemes and wordfence . Ithemes and wordfence both are awesome . But ithemes mostly work on htacess files function and wordfence works on php file .As we know that php fies depnds upon server and .htacess file is server side Stuff . So i believe Both plugins are out of box But Ithemes is superb . Ithemes pro version have more feature than WordFence and more security . So go ahead with Ithemes pro .
Conclusion – This was my research on security plugin for WordPress . And I am sure that you might be confused for which plugin should I go and for which I shouldn’t . So i will recommend you to go for Wordfence Security or Ithemes Security both are good you can choose anyone .But none of them have proper firewall system so i will recommend you to add premium firewall which is provided by sucuri which blocks all bad requests before they come to your sever .